Monday, July 9, 2018 — Protest Ivanka Trump / Claudia Tenney Meeting at Suit-Kote, 9:30 a.m.
On Monday, July 9 at 9:30 a.m., Ivanka Trump will be visiting Suit-Kote. You can read the Cortland Standard article to see what the official reason for the visit is, but we all know what it really means: the White House is nervous about losing their good little soldier, Claudia Tenney, so they are sending Ivanka to shore up support for her.
We will be there to greet them! Join us as we rally together to make sure Ivanka Trump knows no one from this administration is welcome in Central NY to promote their callous agenda of greed and hatred.
We will be meeting at the shoulder of Route 281, Preble/Tully at Patriot Drive as early as 7:30 a.m. on Monday morning, July 9.
The situation is very fluid because we don’t know what roads the Secret Service will shut down, or how close they will let us get to Suit-Kote’s entrance on Route 281.
MAIN PARKING AREA will be at Cobblestone Valley Farm’s strawberry field on Preble Road, with their blessing. Preble Road runs between Route 281 and Route 11, so you can access it either way—just follow the signs to the strawberry field!
This parking area is approximately 2.5 miles South of Suit-Kote. We are working on having transportation but we have no idea how close to the Suit-Kote entrance on 281 we will be allowed to drive. Protesters need to be prepared to walk—maybe even the entire 2.5 miles. Make your signs lightweight, with large font!
There is also parking north of Suit-Kote in Tully—at the Centro park and ride (the Tully Community Church parking lot) on Meeting House Road, or in the Kinney Drugstore parking lot on Route 11 in Tully. We may also have transportation from that area.
We know there are a lot of questions. We won’t know some details until Monday morning. Please stay connected via Facebook if you can, we will be updating the protest event page in real time with the latest news and information.
In the event that we are not able to get access to Suit-Kote’s entrance due to Secret Service, even on foot, we have a Plan B, and we will keep you posted.
Some things to keep in mind:
- Don’t bring sticks for your sign or anything else that could be interpreted or used as a weapon.
- Don’t bring a large backpack—put your belongings in your pocket or carry a small fanny pack.
- Be respectful at all times! To law enforcement and Secret Service (they are just doing their jobs). To any pro-Trump people who attend—this is a non violent protest, and aggression in any form will not be tolerated. Cobblestone Valley Farm has been very gracious in allowing us to use their property to park. Let’s show them how much we appreciate their generosity and support!
- The staging/parking area is 2.5 miles from the entrance to Suit-Kote on 281 where we are hoping to protest. We are working on transportation but some may need to walk if you want to get close. There are secondary options on site at the farm where we can get some attention if we can’t get everyone close enough to the entrance. Don’t let the unknowns or distance deter you. We will make this work!!
- It is possible that Border Patrol will be there asking protesters “Are you a US citizen?” It would be best to just say yes. There is no need to tie up your time with them.
- Think ahead—what will you say to the press if they ask why you are there?
- Dress for the weather and for comfort! Wear comfortable shoes.
- It will be hot and sunny, and you will be standing for long periods of time—BRING WATER!!!!
Thank you for your patience and your flexibility and most importantly, for your commitment to and willingness to put yourself out there for justice and equality.